- •BOLD-MRI techniques are effective in monitoring and assessing renal hypoxia in diabetic kidney disease.
- •Lipo-PGE1 was shown to improve kidney medullay oxygenation in patients with DKD.
- •The possible renoprotective effects of lipo-PGE1 in acute renal ischemic injury and chronic progression to renal failure in DKD.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Temporal trends in the prevalence of diabetic kidney disease in the United States.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2532-2539
- Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1047-1053
- Reno-protective effects of renin-angiotensin system blockade in type 2 diabetic patients: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Diabetologia. 2012; 55: 566-578
- Chronic hypoxia as a mechanism of progression of chronic kidney diseases: from hypothesis to novel therapeutics.Kidney Int. 2008; 74: 867-872
- Adaptation to hypoxia in the diabetic rat kidney.Kidney Int. 2008; 73: 34-42
- Noninvasive evaluation of renal oxygenation in diabetic nephropathy by BOLD-MRI.Eur J Radiol. 2012; 81: 1426-1431
- Regulation of agonist-induced prostaglandin E1 versus prostaglandin E2 production. A mass analysis.J Biol Chem. 1991; 266: 23618-23623
- The therapeutic effect of lipo PGE1 on diabetic neuropathy-changes in endothelin and various angiopathic factors.Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2001; 66: 221-234
- Prostaglandin E1 for preventing the progression of diabetic kidney disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 5 (CD006872): 1-36
- Protective effect of prostaglandin E1 on renal microvascular injury in rats of acute aristolochic acid nephropathy.Ren Fail. 2011; 33: 225-232
- Pathologic classification of diabetic nephropathy.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 21: 556-563
- Diabetic kidney disease: a clinical update from Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes.Kidney Int. 2015; 87: 20-30
- Progressive renal disease: the chronic hypoxia hypothesis.Kidney Int Suppl. 1998; 65: S74-78
- Chronic hypoxia and tubulointerstitial injury: a final common pathway to end-stage renal failure.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006; 17: 17-25
- Mechanisms of disease: the hypoxic tubular hypothesis of diabetic nephropathy.Nat Clin Pract Nephrol. 2008; 4: 216-226
- Diabetic nephropathy: a disorder of oxygen metabolism?.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2010; 6: 83-95
- Blockade of the renin-angiotensin system and renal tissue oxygenation as measured with BOLD-MRI in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2013; 99: 136-144
- Noninvasive evaluation of kidney hypoxia and fibrosis using magnetic resonance imaging.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011; 22: 1429-1434
- New magnetic resonance imaging methods in nephrology.Kidney Int. 2014; 85: 768-778
- Glucose stimulates O2 consumption, NOS, and Na/H exchange in diabetic rat proximal tubules.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2002; 283: F286-293
- Renal diffusion and BOLD MRI in experimental diabetic nephropathy. Blood oxygen level-dependent.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2003; 17: 104-113
- Intrarenal oxygen in diabetes and a possible link to diabetic nephropathy.Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2006; 33: 997-1001
- The role of tubular injury in diabetic nephropathy.Eur J Intern Med. 2009; 20: 551-555
- Therapeutic effect of alprostadil in diabetic nephropathy: possible roles of angiopoietin-2 and IL-18.Cell Physiol Biochem. 2014; 34: 916-928
- Effect of prostaglandin E1 on the renin-aldosterone system in patients with diabetic nephropathy.J Int Med Res. 1993; 21: 126-132
- PGE1 analog alprostadil induces VEGF and eNOS expression in endothelial cells.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005; 289: H2066-2072
- Acute kidney injury: mechanism of AKI sensitivity in diabetic nephropathy.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2014; 10: 484
- Hyperglycemia, p53, and mitochondrial pathway of apoptosis are involved in the susceptibility of diabetic models to ischemic acute kidney injury.Kidney Int. 2015; 87: 137-150
- Rapid progression of diabetic nephropathy is linked to inflammation and episodes of acute renal failure.Am J Nephrol. 2010; 32: 469-475
- Do tubular changes in the diabetic kidney affect the susceptibility to acute kidney injury?.Nephron Clin Pract. 2014; 127: 133-138
- Renoprotective effect of alprostadil in combination with statins in patients with mild to moderate renal failure undergoing coronary angiography.Chin Med J (Engl). 2013; 126: 3475-3480