- •There is fair interrater agreement for acetabular labral tears and extent.
- •There is fair to excellent agreement for measures of femoroacetabular impingement.
- •Agreement is worse for measures of cam than to pincer morphology.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Femoroacetabular impingement: a cause for osteoarthritis of the hip.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003; 417: 112-120
- Femoroacetabular impingement caused by a femoral osseous head-neck bump deformity: clinical, radiological, and experimental results.J Orthop Sci. 2004; 9: 256-263
- The acetabular rim syndrome. A clinical presentation of dysplasia of the hip.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991; 73: 423-429
- Femoroacetabular impingement. A common cause of hip complaints leading to arthrosis.Unfallchirurg. 2005; 108 ([2-7]): 9-10
- Debridement of the adult hip for femoroacetabular impingement: indications and preliminary clinical results.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; 429: 178-181
- Femoroacetabular impingement: radiographic diagnosis—what the radiologist should know.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 188: 1540-1552
- Osseous abnormalities and early osteoarthritis: the role of hip impingement.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; 429: 170-177
- Does femoroacetabular impingement contribute to the development of hip osteoarthritis? A systematic review.Sports Med Arthrosc. 2015; 23: 174-179
- Femoroacetabular impingement in athletes, part 1: cause and assessment.Sports Health. 2010; 2: 321-333
- Femoroacetabular impingement in 45 professional athletes: associated pathologies and return to sport following arthroscopic decompression.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2007; 15: 908-914
- Magnetic resonance arthrography for femoroacetabular impingement surgery: is it reliable?.J Orthop Traumatol. 2013; 14: 201-206
- MR arthrography of the adult acetabular capsular-labral complex: correlation with surgery and anatomy.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1999; 173: 345-349
- Cam and pincer femoroacetabular impingement: characteristic MR arthrographic findings in 50 patients.Radiology. 2006; 240: 778-785
- The diagnostic accuracy of acetabular labral tears using magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance arthrography: a meta-analysis.Eur Radiol. 2011; 21: 863-874
- Hip MRI: how useful is intraarticular contrast material for evaluating surgically proven lesions of the labrum and articular cartilage?.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014; 202: 160-169
- Accuracy of non-arthrographic 3 T MR imaging in evaluation of intra-articular pathology of the hip in femoroacetabular impingement.Skeletal Radiol. 2017; 46: 299-308
- Conventional 3-T MRI and 1.5-T MR arthrography of femoroacetabular impingement.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012; 199: 509-515
- Comparison of 3.0-T MR vs 3.0-T MR arthrography of the hip for detection of acetabular labral tears and chondral defects in the same patient population.Br J Radiol. 2015; 8820140817
- The Warwick Agreement on femoroacetabular impingement syndrome (FAI syndrome): an international consensus statement.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 1169-1176
- Prevalence of radiographic findings thought to be associated with femoroacetabular impingement in a population-based cohort of 2081 healthy young adults.Radiology. 2011; 260: 494-502
- Femoroacetabular impingement: caution is warranted in making imaging-based assumptions and diagnoses.Radiology. 2010; 257: 4-7
- What is the prevalence of radiographic hip findings associated with femoroacetabular impingement in asymptomatic Asian volunteers?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016; 474: 2655-2661
- Prevalence of imaging features on CT thought to be associated with femoroacetabular impingement: a retrospective analysis of 473 asymptomatic adult hip joints.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015; 205: W100-5
- Inter- and intra-observer agreement of femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) parameters comparing plain radiographs and advanced, 3D computed tomographic (CT)-generated hip models in a surgical patient cohort.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016; 24: 2324-2331
- Sex- and age-specific differences in femoral head coverage and acetabular morphology among healthy subjects-derivation of normal ranges and thresholds for abnormality.Skeletal Radiol. 2017; 46: 523-531
- Reliability of various observers in determining common radiographic parameters of adult hip structural anatomy.Iowa Orthop J. 2011; 31: 52-58
- Radiographic evaluation of the hip has limited reliability.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 666-675
- Diagnosing femoroacetabular impingement from plain radiographs: do radiologists and orthopaedic surgeons differ?.Orthop J Sports Med. 2014; 22325967114541414
- Lesions of the acetabular labrum: accuracy of MR imaging and MR arthrography in detection and staging.Radiology. 1996; 200: 225-230
- Classification and localization of acetabular labral tears.Skeletal Radiol. 2007; 36: 391-397
- Femoroacetabular impingement and the cam-effect. A MRI-based quantitative anatomical study of the femoral head-neck offset.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2001; 83: 171-176
- The contour of the femoral head-neck junction as a predictor for the risk of anterior impingement.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2002; 84: 556-560
- Abnormal extension of the femoral head epiphysis as a cause of cam impingement.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; 418: 54-60
- Cam-type femoral-acetabular impingement: is the alpha angle the best MR arthrography has to offer?.Skeletal Radiol. 2009; 38: 855-862
- Cross-table lateral radiographs for screening of anterior femoral head-neck offset in patients with femoro-acetabular impingement.Hip Int. 2001; 11: 37-41
- Roentgen examination of the proximal femur end in children and adolescents; a standardized technique also suitable for determination of the collum-, anteversion-, and epiphyseal angles; a study of slipped epiphysis and coxa plana.Acta Radiol Suppl. 1954; 110: 1-80
- Beyond the alpha angle: alternative measurements for quantifying cam-type deformities in femoroacetabular impingement.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2015; 42: 1024-1031
- Studies on dysplastic acetabula and congenital subluxation of the hip joint: with special reference to the complication of osteoarthritis.Acta Chir Scand Suppl. 1939; 83: 5-135
- Legg-Perthes disease; a method for the measurement of the roentgenographic result.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1950; 32 A: 767-778
- Lateral acetabular labral length is inversely related to acetabular coverage as measured by lateral center edge angle of Wiberg.J Hip Preserv Surg. 2016; 3: 190-196
- Acetabular dysplasia in the adult.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1983; : 79-85
- The definition and measurement of acetabular orientation.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1993; 75: 228-232
- Early outcome of hip arthroscopy for femoroacetabular impingement: the role of femoral osteoplasty in symptomatic improvement.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 1570-1575
- Prognostic value of magnetic resonance arthrography for Czerny stage II and III acetabular labral tears.Arthroscopy. 2006; 22: 742-747
- Debridement versus re-attachment of acetabular labral tears: a review of the literature and quantitative analysis.Bone Joint J. 2014; 96-B: 24-30
☆IRB: This study was approved by the USC institutional review board.
☆☆Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sector.
☆☆☆Conflicts of interest: The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
☆☆☆☆☆Presented at Society of Skeletal Radiology Annual Meeting, 2017.