- •Tuberculosis is an important cause of abdominal cocoon in endemic regions.
- •Computed tomography can help in making a diagnosis of abdominal cocoon and may help avoid surgery.
- •The CT signs could include the cauliflower sign, concertina pattern and the novel Bottle Gourd sign.
- •The Bottle Gourd sign seems to be specific for intestinal obstruction in patients with abdominal cocoon.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Abdominal cocoon: an enigmatic entity.Trop Gastroenterol. 2016; 37: 156-167
- Sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis: review.Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2016; 16: e142-51
- A retrospective cohort study of 756 cases of abdominal tuberculosis: two decades single centre experience.Indian J Tuberc. 2016; 63: 245-250
- Idiopathic abdominal cocoon syndrome: preoperative diagnosis with computed tomography.Turk J Gastroenterol. 2015; 26: 193-194
- CT in predicting abdominal cocoon in patients on peritoneal dialysis.Clin Radiol. 2010; 65: 924-929
- Tubercular abdominal cocoon: systematic review of an uncommon form of tuberculosis.Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017; 18: 736-741
- Role of conservative management in tubercular abdominal cocoon: a case series.Infection. 2017; 45: 601-606
- Tuberculous abdominal cocoon.Ann Gastroenterol. 2013; 26: 279-280
- Bottle gourd sign: a new radiologic sign of abdominal cocoon on computed tomography.Indian J Gastroenterol. 2017; 36: SI04
- Abdominal cocoon: multi-detector row CT with multiplanar reformation and review of literatures.Abdom Imaging. 2010; 35: 92-94
- Computed tomography appearances of sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis.Clin Radiol. 2007; 62: 732-737
- The enigma of primary and secondary encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis.BMC Surg. 2016; 16: 81
- Abdominal cocoon: report of a case.Surg Today. 2000; 30: 950-953
- Imaging in encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis.NDT Plus. 2011; 4: 281-284
- Assessing the validity of an abdominal CT scoring system in the diagnosis of encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008; 3: 1702-1710
- CT appearance of sclerosing peritonitis in patients on chronic ambulatory peritoneal dialysis.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1998; 22: 295-299
- Tubercular abdominal cocoon in children - a single centre study in remote area of northern India.Clujul Med. 2017; 90: 179-184
- Computed tomography findings of peritoneal tuberculosis: systematic review of seven patients diagnosed in 6 years (1996–2001).Clin Imaging. 2004; 28: 340-343