- •The canal of Nuck is the female equivalent to a patent processus vaginalis in the male.
- •The term canal of Nuck as well as the anatomy of it is not well known by radiologist or surgeons.
- •There are a variety of normal structures and possible pathologic findings that can be found in this anatomic region.
- •Understanding the anatomy and embryology of the canal of Nuck is essential for interpretation of the radiologic findings.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Adenographia curiosa et uteri foeminei anatome nova.1691: 130 (Leiden)
- Imaging of groin masses: inguinal anatomy and pathologic conditions revisited.Radiographics. 2001; ([21 Spec No]): S261-S271
- Sonography of female genital hernias presenting as labia majora masses.J Ultrasound Med. 2014; 33: 155-159
- The challenging sonographic inguinal canal evaluation in neonates and children: an update of differential diagnoses.Pediatr Radiol. 2017; 47: 461-472
- The inguinal canal: anatomy and imaging features of common and uncommon masses.Radiographics. 2008; 28 ([quiz 913]): 819-835
- US of the inguinal canal: comprehensive review of pathologic processes with CT and MR imaging correlation.Radiographics. 2016; 36: 2028-2048
- Ovary-containing hernia in a premature infant: sonographic diagnosis.J Ultrasound Med. 2007; 26: 985-987
- Hydrocele of the canal of Nuck: value of radiological diagnosis.J Radiol Case Rep. 2012; 6: 18-22
- Inguinal hernias in children–a study of 1,000 cases and a review of the literature.J Am Med Womens Assoc. 1972; 27 (passim): 522-525
- Pediatric inguinal hernia and hydrocele: an evidence-based review in the era of minimal access surgery.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2010; 20: 305-309
- Sonographic appearance of canal of Nuck hydrocele.Pediatr Radiol. 2007; 37: 603-606
- Hydrocele of the canal of Nuck in a girl: ultrasound and MR appearance.Br J Radiol. 2004; 77: 243-244
- Female hydrocele (cyst of the canal of Nuck): sonographic appearance of a rare and little-known disorder.J Ultrasound Med. 2004; 23: 429-432
- Cyst of the canal of Nuck with demonstration of the proximal canal: the role of the compression technique in sonographic diagnosis.J Ultrasound Med. 2006; 25: 123-125
- Hydrocele of the canal of Nuck in a female adult.Arch Plast Surg. 2016; 43: 476-478
- A cautionary approach to adult female groin swelling: hydrocoele of the canal of Nuck with a review of the literature.BMJ Case Rep. 2016; 2016
- Hydrocele of the canal of Nuck (female hydrocele): a rare differential for inguino-labial swelling.J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; 10: PD21-PD22
- Cysts of the canal of Nuck: a rare sonographic diagnosis.J Clin Ultrasound. 2017; 45: 175-178
- Epidemiology of endometriosis.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 1997; 24: 235-258
- MR imaging of endometriosis: ten imaging pearls.Radiographics. 2012; 32: 1675-1691
- Endometriosis: radiologic-pathologic correlation.Radiographics. 2001; 21 ([questionnaire 288–94]): 193-216
- Nuck canal endometriosis: MR imaging findings and clinical features.Abdom Imaging. 2010; 35: 737-741
- Deep retroperitoneal pelvic endometriosis: MR imaging appearance with laparoscopic correlation.Radiographics. 2006; 26: 1705-1718
- The irreducible ovary: a true emergency.J Pediatr Surg. 1991; 26: 1035-1038
- Ultrasonographic diagnosis of ovary-containing hernias of the canal of Nuck.Ultrasonography. 2014; 33: 178-183
- Incarcerated ovarian herniation of the canal of Nuck in a female infant: Ultrasonographic findings and review of literature.Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2016; 9: 38-40
- Ectopic pregnancy in a hernial sac: a case report.Can J Surg. 1970; 13: 166-167
- Ectopic pregnancy developing in a cyst of the canal of Nuck.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 472-476
- Groin mass in pregnancy.Br J Radiol. 2007; 80: 588-589
- Round ligament varicosities: a rare cause of groin swelling in pregnancy.Abdom Imaging. 2013; 38: 1178-1181
- Doppler sonography in the diagnosis of round ligament varicosities during pregnancy.J Clin Ultrasound. 2008; 36: 177-179