- •9% of biopsy-proven fibroadenomas that are >2 cm or display interval growth are re-diagnosed as phyllodes tumors following surgical excision.
- •Less than half (45%) of fibroadenomas that are recommended surgical consultation actually undergo excision.
- •Encouraging patients to follow up with recommendations is crucial so that phyllodes tumors masquerading as fibroadenomas are not missed.
Abbreviations:FNA (fine needle aspiration), CNB (core needle biopsy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A pathologic study of benign breast diseases in Tokyo and New York.Cancer. 1982; 50: 1899-1903
- Disease of the breast.3rd ed. W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA1996
- Benign breast disease.Surg Clin N Am. 2013; 93: 299-308
- Management of breast fibroadenomas.J Gen Intern Med. 1998; 13: 640-645
- Challenging breast lesions: pitfalls and limitations of fine-needle aspiration and the role of core biopsy in specific lesions.Diagn Cytopathol. 2012; 40: 262-272
- Management of fibroadenoma of the breast.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1995; 77: 127-130
- Assessment of the acceptability of conservative management of fibroadenoma of the breast.Br J Surg. 1996; 83: 264-265
- Malignant phyllodes tumor of the breast: review of the literature and case report of stromal overgrowth.Surg Oncol. 2003; 12: 27-37
- Fibroadenomas in adolescence.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 21: 402-406
- Cystosarcoma phyllodes in adolescent girls and young women: a study of 45 patients.Am J Surg Pathol. 1998; 22: 64-69
- Update on fibroepithelial lesions of the breast.Surg Pathol Clin. 2009; 2: 301-317
- Factors leading to local recurrence or death after surgical resection of phyllodes tumours of the breast.Br J Surg. 1999; 86: 396-399
- Criteria for excision of suspected fibroadenomas of the breast.Am J Surg. 2015; 209: 297-301
- Long-term outcome of benign fibroadenomas treated by ultrasound-guided percutaneous excision.Breast J. 2008; 14: 275-278
- Utility of fine needle aspiration cytology in the evaluation of breast lesions.J Clin Diagn Res. 2013; 7: 2777-2779
- Histopathology of fibroadenoma of the breast.Am J Clin Pathol. 2001; 115: 736-742
- Fibroadenoma of the breast: sonomammography correlated with pathology in 122 patients.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1983; 140: 369-375
- Fine-needle aspiration and core biopsy in the diagnosis of breast lesions: a comparison and review of the literature.Cytojournal. 2016; 13: 18
- Cellular fibroadenoma on core needle biopsy: management recommendations for the radiologist.Clin Imaging. 2016; 40: 587-590
- Incidence and management of complex fibroadenomas.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008; 190: 214-218
- Clonal analysis of fibroadenoma and phyllodes tumor of the breast.Cancer Res. 1993; 53: 4071-4074
- Progression of fibroadenoma to phyllodes tumor demonstrated by clonal analysis.Cancer. 1995; 76: 1779-1785
- Solid breast masses diagnosed as fibroadenoma at fine-needle aspiration biopsy: acceptable rates of growth at long-term follow-up.Radiology. 2003; 229: 233-238
☆Disclosure: S. Lee, C.L. Mercado, J. Cangiarella and C.M. Chhor report no financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.
☆IRB statement: Our institutional review board has approved of this study.