- •Sensitivity of the CDS increased with the patients with malignant-typed CSDAVF. This phenomenon was presumably explained by higher flow of the feeding artery, lower arteriovenous pressure gradient in malignant-typed than in benign-typed CSDAVF.
- •Due to the effects of bilateral feeders changed CDS parameters, therefore the abnormalities on the CDS parameters cannot precisely predict the side of shunt.
- •Some patients showed no disturbance on the CDS parameters because of the supplied feeding artery that arrived exclusively from meningeal branches of ICA.
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cerebral dural arteriovenous fistulas: clinical and angiographic correlation with a revised classification of venous drainage.Radiology. 1995; 194: 671-680
- Clinical course of cranial dural arteriovenous fistulas with long-term persistent cortical venous reflux.Stroke. 2002; 33: 1233-1236
- Diagnosis of intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas by carotid duplex sonography.J Ultrasound Med: Official Journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2004; 23: 785-791
- Carotid duplex and transcranial color-coded sonography in evaluation of carotid-cavernous sinus fistulas.J Ultrasound Med: Official Journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 1994; 13: 557-564
- Detection of intracranial arteriovenous malformation by Doppler ultrasound of the extracranial carotid circulation.J Ultrasound Med: Official Journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 1987; 6: 609-612
- Carotid and transcranial color-coded duplex ultrasonography for the diagnosis of dural arteriovenous fistulas.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2008; 25: 304-310
- Venous congestive encephalopathy related to cranial dural arteriovenous fistulas.Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2003; 13: 55-72
- Brain stem venous congestion due to dural arteriovenous fistulas of the cavernous sinus.Acta Neurochir. 2004; 146 ([Discussion 11-2]): 1107-1111
- Compromise of brain tissue caused by cortical venous reflux of intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas: assessment with diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging.Stroke. 2011; 42: 998-1003
☆This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
☆☆None of the authors have any conflicts of interest associated with this study.