- •Lumbar facet synovial cysts can be successfully treated via a minimally invasive percutaneous approach with CT-guidance.
- •CT-guidance may offer improved rates of cyst rupture and clinical improvement when compared to fluoroscopic guidance.
- •Percutaneous cyst rupture can improve patient outcomes at >12-months follow-up and avoid open surgery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Osteoarthritis of the spine: the facet joints.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2013; 9: 216-224
- Synovial cysts of the lumbar facet joints in a symptomatic population: prevalence on magnetic resonance imaging.Spine. 2004; 29: 874-878
- Imaging of posterior element axial pain generators: facet joints, pedicles, spinous processes, sacroiliac joints, and transitional segments.Radiol Clin North Am. 2012; 50: 705-730
- Surgical evaluation and management of lumbar synovial cysts: the Mayo Clinic experience.J Neurosurg. 2000; 93: 53-57
- Symptomatic lumbar facet joint synovial cysts: clinical assessment of facet joint steroid injection after 1 and 6 months and long-term follow-up in 30 patients.Radiology. 1999; 210: 509-513
- Nonsurgical treatment of zygapophyseal joint cyst-induced radicular pain.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 973-977
- Lumbar facet joint synovial cysts: does T2 signal intensity predict outcomes after percutaneous rupture?.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2013; 34: 1661-1664
- Outcome of percutaneous rupture of lumbar synovial cysts: a case series of 101 patients.Spine J. 2009; 9: 899-904
- Fluoroscopic percutaneous lumbar zygapophyseal joint cyst rupture: a clinical outcome study.Spine J. 2009; 9: 387-395
- Lumbar facet joint synovial cyst: percutaneous treatment with steroid injections and distention—clinical and imaging follow-up in 12 patients.Radiology. 2001; 221: 179-185
- Improved outcomes with direct percutaneous CT guided lumbar synovial cyst treatment: advanced approaches and techniques.J Neurointerv Surg. 2014; 6: 790-794