- •We found a significant increase in self-reported diagnostic competence to levels above the threshold from advanced beginner to competent
- •By creating a simulation setting from readily available cases and software, radiologists were able to increase exposure and practice their interpretative skills on a realistic environment
- •Reinterpreting cases might facilitate adoption of new technologies and allow departments with lower volumes to disseminate knowledge faster and improve training
- •This study opens the possibility of developing a full curriculum of pediatric MRI applications that improve diagnostic confidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- MRI usage in a pediatric emergency department: an analysis of usage and usage trends over 5 years.Pediatr Radiol. 2017; 47: 327-332
- A review of cross-sectional imaging, ultrasound and nuclear medicine utilization patterns in paediatric patients in Ireland, 2003-12.Br J Radiol. 2015; 88: 20140767
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Right lower quadrant pain—suspected appendicitis.Ultrasound Q. 2015; 31: 85-91
- Ultrasonography/MRI versus CT for diagnosing appendicitis.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 586-593
- Magnetic resonance imaging in pediatric appendicitis: a systematic review.Pediatr Radiol. 2016; 46: 928-939
- An imaging diagnostic protocol in children with clinically suspected acute appendicitis.Am Surg. 2016; 82: 390-396
- Does abdominal pain duration affect the accuracy of first-line MRI for pediatric appendicitis?.Abdom Imaging. 2015; 40: 352-359
- Prospective comparison of MR imaging and US for the diagnosis of pediatric appendicitis.Radiology. 2014 Jul; 272: 233-240
- Diagnostic accuracy and patient acceptance of MRI in children with suspected appendicitis.Eur Radiol. 2014; 24: 630-637
- From novice to expert: Benner's legacy for nurse education.Nurse Educ Today. 2012; 32: 339-340
- Acute appendicitis on abdominal MR images: training readers to improve diagnostic accuracy.Radiology. 2012; 264: 455-463
- A simulation screening mammography module created for instruction and assessment: radiology residents vs national benchmarks.Acad Radiol. 2016; 23: 1454-1462
- Visual expertise.Radiology. 1999; 211: 1-3
- How experience and training influence mammography expertise.Acad Radiol. 1999; 6: 575-585
☆No conflict of interest to report.