- •Data from 1070 breast MRI studies was analyzed with focus on intra-mammary and extra-mammary findings.
- •MR-BI-RADS categories 4-5 had a 10-times higher risk for major extra-mammary findings (odds ratio 10.1, P < 0.01).
- •MR-BI-RADS categories 4-5 had a 3-times higher risk of a minor extra-mammary finding (odds ratio 3.2, P < 0.01).
- •Extra-mammary breast MRI findings are common, may have important implications and should be mentioned in the reported.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:BI-RADS (breast imaging reporting and data system), MIP (maximum intensity projection), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), FOV (field of view), EUSOMA (European Society of Breast Cancer Specialists), ROI (region of interest)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- BI-RADS lesion characteristics predict likelihood of malignancy in breast MRI for masses but not for non-mass like enhancement.AJR. 2009; 193: 994-1000
- Computer-aided detection in full-field digital mammography: detection in dependence of the BI-RADS categories.Breast J. 2006; 12: 16-19
- Breast MRI as an adjunct to mammography: does it really suffer from low specificity? A retrospective analysis stratified by mammographic BI-RADS classes.Acta Radiol. 2010; 51: 715-721
- Value of the BI-RADS classification in MR-mammography for diagnosis of benign and malignant breast tumors.Eur Radiol. 2011; 10: 2210-2217
- Diagnostic architectural and dynamic features at breast MR imaging: multicenter study.Radiology. 2006; 238: 42-53
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the breast: recommendations from the EUSOMA working group.Eur J Cancer. 2010; 46: 1296-1316
- Spectrum of extra-mammary findings on breast MRI: a pictorial review.Breast J. 2008; 14: 591-600
- Incidental PET/CT findings in the cancer patient: how should they be managed?.Surgery. 2009; 146: 274-281
- The pros and cons of searching for extracardiac findings at cardiac CT: studies should be reconstructed in the maximum field of view and adequately reviewed to detect pathologic findings.Radiology. 2011; 261: 342-346
- Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS).Auflage, Reston1998: 3
- Extramammary findings on breast MR examinations: frequency, clinical relevance, and patient outcomes.Radiology. 2015; 276: 56-64
- Prevalence of extramammary findings on breast MRI: a large retrospective singlecentre study.Radiol Med. 2013; 118: 1109-1118
- Extramammary findings in T2-weighted MR breast images.Eur J Radiol. 2012; 81: 181-182
- Subjects' expectations in neuroimaging research.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2006; 23: 205-209
- Imaging of metastases from breast cancer to uncommon sites: a pictorial review.Jpn J Radiol. 2016; 34: 400-408
- Overview of white papers of the ACR incidental findings committee ii on adnexal, vascular, splenic, nodal, gallbladder, and biliary findings.J Am Coll Radiol. 2013; 10: 672-674
- Magnetic resonance elastography of the liver: preliminary results and estimation of interrater reliability.Jpn J Radiol. 2010; 28: 623-627