- •Non-contrast MRV has potential for pre-dialysis work-up of renal failure patients.
- •Non-contrast versus contrast-enhanced chest/arm MRV is evaluated in volunteers.
- •Both MRV techniques are compared to ultrasound-derived measurements in the arm.
- •Non-contrast and contrast enhanced MRV caliber measurements are comparable.
- •Both MRV techniques derive slightly larger measurements than ultrasound.
To assess feasibility, image quality and measured venous caliber of non-contrast MRV (NC-MRV) of central and upper extremity veins, compared to contrast-enhanced MRV (CE-MRV) and ultrasound (US) in healthy volunteers.
Materials and methods
10 subjects underwent NC-MRV and CE-MRV at 1.5 T, with comparison to US. Two radiologists evaluated MRI for image quality (IQ) and venous caliber.
Results and conclusions
NC-MRV is feasible, with inferior IQ but comparable venous caliber measurements CE-MRV (mean 7.9 ± 4.58 mm vs. 7.83 ± 4.62, p = 0.13). Slightly larger upper limb caliber measurements were derived for NC-MRV and CE-MRV compared to US (NC-MRV 5.2 ± 1.8 mm, CE-MRV 4.9 ± 1.6 mm, US 4.5 ± 1.8 mm, both p < 0.001).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Chronic kidney disease: global dimension and perspectives.Lancet. 2013; 382: 260-272
- Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2095-2128
- Worldwide access to treatment for end-stage kidney disease: a systematic review.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1975-1982
- NKF-DOQI clinical practice guidelines for vascular access.Am J Kidney Dis. 1997; 30: S150-S191
- Prospective validation of an algorithm to maximize native arteriovenous fistulae for chronic hemodialysis access.J Vasc Surg. 2002; 36: 452-459
- The value of preoperative vascular imaging in the selection and success of hemodialysis access.Ann Vasc Surg. 2007; 21: 481-489
- MR venography needs to know where it stands for vascular mapping prior to fistula creation.Eur Radiol. 2004; 14 ([author reply 2–3]): 1130-1131
- US vascular mapping before hemodialysis access placement.Radiology. 2000; 217: 83-88
- A strategy for increasing use of autogenous hemodialysis access procedures: impact of preoperative noninvasive evaluation.J Vasc Surg. 1998; 27 ([discussion 7–8]): 302-307
- The key role of color Doppler ultrasound in the work-up of hemodialysis vascular access.Semin Dial. 2015; 28: 211-215
- A systematic review of duplex ultrasound, magnetic resonance angiography and computed tomography angiography for the diagnosis and assessment of symptomatic, lower limb peripheral arterial disease.Health Technol Assess. 2007; 11 ([iii–iv, xi–xiii]): 1-184
- Upper limb vein anatomy before hemodialysis fistula creation: cross-sectional anatomy using MR venography.Eur Radiol. 2003; 13: 256-261
- Gadolinium and nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.Kidney Int. 2007; 72: 260-264
- Gadolinium-based contrast agent accumulates in the brain even in subjects without severe renal dysfunction: evaluation of autopsy brain specimens with inductively coupled plasma mass spectroscopy.Radiology. 2015; 276: 228-232
- High signal intensity in the dentate nucleus and globus pallidus on unenhanced T1-weighted MR images: relationship with increasing cumulative dose of a gadolinium-based contrast material.Radiology. 2014; 270: 834-841
- Noncontrast magnetic resonance angiography: concepts and clinical applications.Radiol Clin N Am. 2015; 53: 457-476
- Evaluation of peripheral arterial disease with nonenhanced quiescent-interval single-shot MR angiography.Radiology. 2011; 260: 282-293
- Assessment of coronary artery disease using magnetic resonance coronary angiography: a national multicenter trial.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56: 983-991
- Comparison of nonenhanced MR angiographic subtraction techniques for infragenual arteries at 1.5 T: a preliminary study.Radiology. 2013; 267: 293-304
- Renal artery stenosis evaluation in chronic kidney disease patients: nonenhanced time-spatial labeling inversion-pulse three-dimensional MR angiography with regulated breathing versus DSA.Radiology. 2011; 259: 592-601
- Non-contrast-enhanced MR angiography using 3D ECG-synchronized half-Fourier fast spin echo.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2000; 12: 776-783
- Non-contrast-enhanced MR venography of the upper limb: a comparative study of acquisitions with fresh blood imaging vs. time-of-flight methods.Clin Imaging. 2012; 36: 496-501
- Projective imaging of pulsatile flow with magnetic resonance.Science. 1985; 230: 946-948
- Comparison of magnetic properties of MRI contrast media solutions at different magnetic field strengths.Investig Radiol. 2005; 40: 715-724
- 3D contrast-enhanced MR angiography.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2007; 25: 13-25
- Preoperative radiological assessment for vascular access.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2006; 31: 64-69
- Feasibility of non-contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance angiography for imaging upper extremity vasculature prior to vascular access creation.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2012; 43: 88-94
- Respiratory-gated noncontrast SPACE MR angiography sequence at 3T for evaluation of the central veins of the chest: a feasibility study.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2015; 41: 67-73
- The loss of small objects in variable TE imaging: implications for FSE, RARE, and EPI.Magn Reson Med. 1992; 28: 9-24
- Fat-suppression failure artifacts simulating pathology on frequency-selective fat-suppression MR images of the head and neck.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1992; 13: 879-884
- Chemical shift selective MR imaging using a whole-body magnet.Radiology. 1985; 156: 441-444
- MR imaging: clinical use of the inversion recovery sequence.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1985; 9: 659-675
- Non contrast-enhanced MRA versus ultrasound blood vessel assessment to determine the choice of hemodialysis vascular access.J Vasc Access. 2013; 14: 348-355
- Limits to the accuracy of vessel diameter measurement in MR angiography.J Magn Reson Imaging. 1998; 8: 1228-1235
- Deep venous thrombosis: diagnosis by using venous enhanced subtracted peak arterial MR venography versus conventional venography.Radiology. 2003; 226: 812-820
- Reduced acquisition window with parallel technique improves non contrast 3D HASTE MRA imaging.in: Proc 14th meeting ISMRM, Seattle, 2006. 2006: 1931
- Simple proton spectroscopic imaging.Radiology. 1984; 153: 189-194
- Chemical shift encoding-based water-fat separation methods.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2014; 40: 251-268
- Retrospective assessment of the utility of an iron-based agent for contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance venography in patients with endstage renal diseases.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2014; 40: 113-118
Published online: June 05, 2017
Accepted: May 30, 2017
Received in revised form: May 17, 2017
Received: February 15, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.