- •After installation of the MR in the ED, there was increased use of the ED MR.
- •More patients admitted actually had a stroke, so LOS did not decrease.
- •Patients discharged after a negative MR were not at risk for stroke within 60 days.
- •ED MR yields improved efficiency and accuracy without under-diagnosing strokes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Wide variation and rising utilization of stroke magnetic resonance imaging: data from 11 states.Ann Neurol. 2012; 71: 179-185
- Time to stroke magnetic resonance imaging.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013; 22: 784-791
- Diffusion-weighted MR imaging: diagnostic accuracy in patients imaged within 6 h of stroke symptom onset.Radiology. 1999; 210: 155-162
- Identification of major ischemic change : diffusion-weighted imaging versus computed tomography.Stroke. 1999 Jan; 30: 2059-2065
- CT and diffusion-weighted MR imaging in randomized order: diffusion-weighted imaging results in higher accuracy and lower interrater variability in the diagnosis of hyperacute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2002 Jan; 33: 2206-2210
- Evidence-based guideline: the role of diffusion and perfusion MRI for the diagnosis of acute ischemic stroke: report of the therapeutics and technology assessment subcommittee of the American Academy of neurology.Neurology. 2010 Dec; 75: 177-185
- Stroke magnetic resonance imaging is accurate in Hyperacute intracerebral hemorrhage: a multicenter study on the validity of stroke imaging.Stroke. 2004 Jan; 35: 502-506
- Comparison of MRI and CT for detection of acute intracerebral hemorrhage.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1823
- Magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography in emergency assessment of patients with suspected acute stroke: a prospective comparison.Lancet. 2007; 369: 293-298
- Recommendations for imaging of acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2009; 40: 3646-3678
- Early risk of stroke after transient ischemic attack.Arch Intern Med. 2007 Oct; 167: 2417
- Risk of stroke early after transient ischaemic attack: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Neurol. 2007; 6: 1063-1072
- TIA triage in emergency department using acute MRI (TIA-TEAM): a feasibility and safety study.Int J Stroke. 2014 Mar; 10: 343-347
- Risk of vascular events in emergency department patients discharged home with diagnosis of dizziness or vertigo.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 57: 34-41
- Incidence and short-term prognosis of transient ischemic attack in a population-based study.Stroke. 2005; 36: 720-723
- Guidelines for the Management of Transient Ischemic Attacks. From the ad hoc committee on guidelines for the management of transient ischemic attacks of the stroke Council of the American Heart Association.Circulation. 1994 Jan; 89: 2950-2965
- Factors associated with misdiagnosis of acute stroke in young adults.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2011; 20: 523-527
- Early use of MRI improves diagnostic accuracy in young adults with stroke.J Neurol Sci. 2013; 324: 62-64
- Magnetic resonance imaging versus computed tomography for detection of acute vascular lesions in patients presenting with stroke symptoms.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009 Jul;
- Is MRI more accurate than CT in patients with suspected acute stroke?.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 58: 99-100
- Cost-minimization analysis of computed tomography versus magnetic resonance imaging in the evaluation of patients with transient ischemic attacks at a large academic center.Cerebrovasc Dis Extra. 2014; 4: 69-76