- •Failure of the embryologic mammary ridge to atrophy will lead to the formation of glandular tissue anywhere along the milk line.
- •There is rare potential to develop a primary breast malignancy including ductal or lobular carcinomas, as well as benign growths such as pseudoagniomatous stromal hyperplasia (PASH) in ectopic breasts.
- •Radiologic appearance is nonspecific and full workup is required for diagnosis.
- •Elective resection may be considered.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Cyrlak, D., and P. M. Carpenter. “Breast Imaging Case of the Day. Pseudoangiomatous Stromal Hyperplasia.” Radiographics: A Review Publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc 19, no. 4 (August 1999): 1086–88. doi:10.1148/radiographics.19.4.g99jl201086.
- The ABCs of Accessory Breast Tissue: Basic Information Every Radiologist Should Know.AJR Am J Roentgenol. May 2014; 202: 1157-1162https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.13.10930
- Accessory breast tissue in axilla masquerading as breast cancer recurrence.J Cancer Res Ther. June 2008; 4: 95-96
- The development of the mammary gland: Arris and gale lecture, delivered at the Royal College of Surgeons of England on 25th October, 1949.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. February 1950; 6: 99-119
- Development of the human breast.Semin Plast Surg. February 2013; 27: 5-12https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0033-1343989
- Axillary breast tissue: clinical presentation and surgical treatment.Ann Plast Surg. October 1995; 35: 356-360
- Cancer of the accessory breast-a case report.Adv Med Sci. 2009; 54: 308-310https://doi.org/10.2478/v10039-009-0031-6
- Pseudomamma of the inguinal region in a female patient: a case report.Int J Surg Case Rep. 2015; 12: 71-74https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijscr.2015.05.021
- Ectopic breast cancer: case report and literature review.Surg Oncol. October 1994; 3: 295-304
- Pseudoangiomatous Stromal Hyperplasia (PASH). A Mammary Stromal Tumor with Myofibroblastic Differentiation.Am J Surg Pathol. March 1995; 19: 270-277
- Carcinoma originating from aberrant breast tissue of the right upper anterior Chest Wall: a case report.J Korean Med Sci. August 2001; 16: 519-521https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2001.16.4.519
- Ectopic breast tissue, supernumerary breasts, and supernumerary nipples.South Med J. September 1995; 88: 903-906
- Breast cancer occurring in the Chest Wall: rare presentation of ectopic milk line breast cancer.J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. April 1, 2014; 32: e35-e36https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.47.8958
- Metaplastic carcinoma in an ectopic breast.South Med J. April 2002; 95: 462-466
- Ectopic lobular breast cancer on the anterior chest wall: a rare entity.J Clin Pathol. October 17, 2006; 60: 940-941https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2005.034488