- •Loss of normal high attenuation of enlarged thyroid glands on non-enhanced CT can be a diagnostic clue of Grave’s disease.
- •Enlargement of the right atrium or ventricle on CT may suggest presence of pulmonary hypertension.
- •Chest CT has the potential to diagnose Grave’s disease with pulmonary hypertension in the absence of clinical information.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Imaging thyroid disease: updates, imaging approach, and management pearls.Radiol Clin North Am. 2015; 53: 145-161
- Diagnosis and management of thyrotoxicosis.BMJ. 2014; 349: g5128
- Thyroid hormone and the cardiovascular system.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 501-509
- Thyroid disease and the heart.Circulation. 2007; 116: 1725-1735
- Pulmonary hypertension and predominant right heart failure in thyrotoxicosis.Resuscitation. 2006; 69: 339-341
- Correlation of CT values, iodine concentration, and histological changes in the thyroid.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2000; 24: 322-326
- Clinical studies on thyroid CT number in Graves' disease and destructive thyrotoxicosis.Endocr J. 1994; 41: 25-30
- Diagnostic value of CT density in patients with diffusely increased FDG uptake in the thyroid gland on PET/CT images.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 195: 223-228
- Thymic hyperplasia in a patient with Grave's disease.Int Arch Med. 2012; 5: 5-6
- Thymic hyperplasia and Graves disease: management of anterior mediastinal masses in patients with Graves disease.Endocr Pract. 2009; 15: 534-539
- Thymic hyperplasia in patients with Graves' disease. Identification of thyrotropin receptors in human thymus.J Clin Invest. 1996; 98: 2228-2234
- Graves' disease and massive thymic hyperplasia.Thyroid. 2010; 20: 227-229
- Graves' disease and thymic hyperplasia: the relationship of thymic volume to thyroid function.Thyroid. 2010; 20: 1015-1028
- Computed tomography of the normal thymus.Radiology. 1982; 142: 121-125
- The thymus: reexamination of age-related changes in size and shape.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1985; 145: 249-254
- A case of thymic enlargement in hyperthyroidism in a young woman.Thyroid. 2004; 14: 307-310
- Cardiovascular manifestations of hyperthyroidism before and after antithyroid therapy: a matched case-control study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 49: 71-81
- Pulmonary hypertension is frequent in hyperthyroidism and normalizes after therapy.Eur J Intern Med. 2006; 17: 267-271
- Autoimmunity and pulmonary hypertension in patients with Graves' disease.Heart Vessels. 2015; 30: 642-646
- Multidetector computed tomography imaging for the diagnosis of hyperthyroid cardiomyopathy.Iran J Radiol. 2017; (in press)
- Right ventricular enlargement on chest computed tomography: a predictor of early death in acute pulmonary embolism.Circulation. 2004; 110: 3276-3280