- •Contrast reaction management training is increasingly incorporating simulation training and online content.
- •89.4% of the radiology residency programs who responded provide didactic lectures.
- •37.8% of radiology residency programs who responded provided hands-on simulation training.
- •Only 2.1% of the programs who responded to the survey provide pediatric contrast allergy simulation training.
- •57.7% of programs indicated willingness to share their contrast reaction curriculum.
- •To address patient safety needs, it is imperative that a national curriculum be developed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in adverse events after IV administration of contrast media.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 176: 1285-1388
- Universal use of nonionic iodinated contrast medium for CT: evaluation of safety in a large urban teaching hospital.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005; 185: 31-34
- Frequency, outcome and appropriateness of treatment of nonionic iodinated contrast media reactions.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008; 191: 409-415
- Adverse reactions to ionic and nonionic contrast media. A report from the Japanese Committee on the Safety of Contrast Media.Radiology. 1990; 175: 621-628
- Current status of residency-training of allergic-like adverse events to contrast media.Acad Radiol. 2012; 19: 252-255
- Perceived barriers to the use of high-fidelity hands-on simulation training for contrast reaction management: why programs are not using it.Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2015; 44: 474-478
- High-fidelity contrast reaction simulation training: performance comparison of faculty, fellows and residents.JACR. 2016; 13: 81-87
- Survey of radiologists' knowledge regarding the management of severe contrast material-induced allergic reactions.Radiology. 2009; 251: 691-696
- Errors of epinephrine administration during severe allergic-like contrast reactions: lessons learned from a bi-institutional study using high-fidelity simulation testing.Abdom Imag. 2014; 39: 1127-1133
- Acute contrast reaction management by radiologists: a local audit study.Australas Radiol. 2003; 47: 363-367
- Taking contrast contrast seriously.JACR. 2015; 12: 425-426
- Entrustable professional activities: ten things radiologists do.Acad Radiol. 2016; 23: 374-381
- The new residency curriculum: professionalism, patient safety and more.JACR. 2013; 10: 613-617
- Curricula for teaching MRI safety, and MRI and CT contrast safety to residents: how effective are live lectures and online modules?.JACR. 2015; 12: 1093-1096
- Teaching management of contrast reactions: does it work and how often do we need to refresh?.Acad Radiol. 2012; 19: 498-504
- The adequacy of response rates to online and paper surveys: what can be done?.Assess Eval High Educ. 2008; 33: 301-314
☆The authors have no relevant disclosures or conflicts of interest.