Twenty-two patients with pathologically confirmed glioblastoma who had received concurrent CCRT with TMZ underwent conventional MRI including T1-weighted imaging(T1WI), T2-weighted imaging(T2WI), fluid attenuated inversion recovery(FLAIR)and contrast-enhanced T1WI(T1Ce). Five GLCM texture maps of contrast, energy, entropy, correlation and homogeneity were generated for each MRI series. Of the aforementioned 5 texture features, the most significant features were contrast and correlation on T2WI with areas under ROC curve of 0.883 and 0.892, respectively, and they had the same sensitivity of 75%, specificity of 100%, accuracy of 86.4%, PPV of 100% and NPV of 76.9% in differentiation true progression from pseudoprogression.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- CBTRUS Statistical Report: Primary Brain and Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2007–2011.Neuro-Oncology. 2014; 16: iv1-iv63
- Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastoma.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 987-996
- Clinical features, mechanisms, and management of pseudoprogression in malignant gliomas.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 453-461
- Incidence of early pseudo-progression in a cohort of malignant glioma patients treated with chemoirradiation with temozolomide.Cancer. 2008; 113: 405-410
- Journey toward computer-aided diagnosis: role of image texture analysis.Radiology. 1999; 213: 317-320
- Percent change of perfusion skewness and kurtosis: a potential imaging biomarker for early treatment response in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastomas.Radiology. 2012; 264: 834-843
- True progression versus pseudoprogression in the treatment of glioblastomas: a comparison study of normalized cerebral blood volume and apparent diffusion coefficient by histogram analysis.Korean J Radiol. 2013; 14: 662-672
- Textural features for image classification.IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern. 1973; : 610-621
- GGO nodule volume-preserving nonrigid lung registration using GLCM texture analysis.IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2011; 58: 2885-2894
- Primary esophageal cancer: heterogeneity as potential prognostic biomarker in patients treated with definitive chemotherapy and radiation therapy.Radiology. 2014; 270: 141-148
- Assessment of response to tyrosine kinase inhibitors in metastatic renal cell cancer: CT texture as a predictive biomarker.Radiology. 2011; 261: 165-171
- Ultrasound GLCM texture analysis of radiation-induced parotid-gland injury in head-and-neck cancer radiotherapy: an in vivo study of late toxicity.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 5732-5739
- Textural Features for Image Classification.IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern. 1973; 3: 610-621
- Improving the distinction between benign and malignant breast lesions: the value of sonographic texture analysis.Ultrason Imaging. 1993; 15: 267-285
- Microvasculature and radiation damage.Acute and Long-Term Side-Effects of Radiotherapy. Springer, 1993: 1-16
- Glioma grading by using histogram analysis of blood volume heterogeneity from MR-derived cerebral blood volume maps.Radiology. 2008; 247: 808-817
- Image Retrieval using Texture Features extracted from GLCM, LBG and KPE.Int J Comput Theory Eng. 2010; 2: 1793-8201
- An investigation of the textural characteristics associated with gray level cooccurrence matrix statistical parameters.IEEE Trans Geosci Remote Sens. 1995; 33: 293-304
- A comparison of spatial feature extraction algorithms for land-use classification with SPOT HRV data.Remote Sens Environ. 1992; 40: 137-151
- Analysis of co-occurrence texture statistics as a function of gray-level quantization for classifying breast ultrasound.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2012; 31: 1889-1899
- An analysis of image texture, tumor location, and MGMT promoter methylation in glioblastoma using magnetic resonance imaging.Neuroimage. 2010; 49: 1398-1405
- Pseudoprogression and pseudoresponse: imaging challenges in the assessment of posttreatment glioma.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011; 32: 1978-1985
Published online: April 16, 2015
Accepted: April 6, 2015
Received in revised form: March 20, 2015
Received: January 26, 2015
☆Conflicts of Interest: This work was partly supported by the Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangdong Province (grant no. 2013B021800063) and the Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangzhou (grant no. 2014J4100071).
© 2015 Published by Elsevier Inc.