Advertisement

Vascular ring complicates accidental button battery ingestion

      Abstract

      Button battery ingestion can lead to dangerous complications, including vasculoesophageal fistula formation. The presence of a vascular ring may complicate battery ingestion if the battery lodges at the level of the ring and its important vascular structures. We report a 4-year-old boy with trisomy 21 who was diagnosed with a vascular ring at the time of button battery ingestion and died 9 days after presentation due to massive upper gastrointestinal bleeding from esophageal erosion and vasculoesophageal fistula formation.

      Keywords

      To read this article in full you will need to make a payment

      Purchase one-time access:

      Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
      One-time access price info
      • For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
      • For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'

      Subscribe:

      Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
      Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
      Already an online subscriber? Sign in
      Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect

      References

      1. Injuries from batteries among children aged <13 years—United States, 1995–2010.
        MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 661-666
      2. Swallowed a Button Battery? Battery in the Nose or Ear?.
        National Capital Poison Center, 2014 ([http://www.poison.org/battery/ Accessed 12/18/14])
        • Kimball SJ
        • Park AH
        • Rollins MD
        • Grimmer JF
        • Muntz H
        A review of esophageal disc battery ingestions and a protocol for management.
        Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010; 136: 866-871
        • Litovitz T
        • Whitaker N
        • Clark L
        • White NC
        • Marsolek M
        Emerging battery-ingestion hazard: clinical implications.
        Pediatrics. 2010; 125: 1168-1177
      3. Fatal button battery ingestions: 37 reported cases.
        National Capital Poison Center. 2014 ([http://www.poison.org/battery/fatalcases.asp Accessed 12/18/14])
        • Mortensen A
        • Hansen NF
        • Schiodt OM
        Fatal aortoesophageal fistula caused by button battery ingestion in a 1-year-old child.
        Am J Emerg Med. 2010; 28: 984.e5-984.e6
        • Brumbaugh DE
        • Colson SB
        • Sandoval JA
        • Karrer FM
        • Bealer JF
        • Litovitz T
        • Kramer RE
        Management of button battery-induced hemorrhage in children.
        J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2011; 52: 585-589
        • Langkau JF
        • Noesges RA
        Esophageal burns from battery ingestion.
        Am J Emerg Med. 1985; 3: 265
        • Thompson N
        • Lowe-Ponsford F
        • Mant TG
        • Volans GN
        Button battery ingestion: a review.
        Adverse Drug React Acute Poisoning Rev. 1990; 9: 157-180
        • Dawe N
        • Puvanendran M
        • Flood L
        Unwitnessed lithium ion disc battery ingestion: case report and review of best practice management of an increasing clinical concern.
        J Laryngol Otol. 2013; 127: 84-87
        • Donnelly LF
        • Frush DP
        • Bisset GS
        The multiple presentations of foreign bodies in children.
        AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1998; 170: 471-477