To evaluate a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-based score of disease severity for perianal fistulizing Crohn's disease (CD), 16 patients with perianal fistulizing CD underwent 1.5-T MRI before and after infliximab therapy. MRI scores, Perianal Disease Activity Index (PDAI) and C-reactive protein (CRP) were calculated, and fistula drainage was assessed. These items were compared for responders and nonresponders.
After therapy, PDAI values and CRP values decreased significantly in responders, but there were no significant differences in the MRI scores. In all responders, MRI findings were indicative of persisting active inflammation. In these patients, a relapse rate of 57% was seen.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- American Gastroenterological Association medical position statement: perianal Crohn's disease.Gastroenterology. 2003; 125: 1503-1507
- European evidence based consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease: special situations.Gut. 2006; 55: i36-i58
- Which method is best for imaging of perianal fistula?.Abdom Imaging. 2007; 33: 26-30
- Clinical examination, endosonography, and MR imaging in preoperative assessment of fistula in ano: comparison with outcome-based reference standard.Radiology. 2004; 233: 674-681
- Infliximab for the treatment of fistulas in patients with Crohn's disease.N Engl J Med. 1999; 86: 360-364
- Infliximab maintenance therapy for fistulizing Crohn's disease.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 876-885
- Usual therapy improves perianal Crohn's disease as measured by a new disease activity index. McMaster IBD Study Group.J Clin Gastroenterol. 1995; 20: 27-32
- Antibiotics and azathioprine for the treatment of perianal fistulas in Crohn's disease.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003; 18: 1113-1120
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the effects of infliximab on perianal fistulizing Crohn's disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2003; 98: 332-339
- Response of fistulizing Crohn's disease to infliximab treatment assessed by magnetic resonance imaging.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003; 17: 387-393
- Clinical and radiological responses after infliximab treatment for perianal fistulizing Crohn's disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2004; 99: 82-88
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging of perianal fistulas.AJR. 1996; 167: 735-741
- Pelvic and perineal complications of Crohn's disease: assessment using magnetic resonance imaging.Gut. 1995; 36: 407-410
- Clinical and MR imaging features of cryptoglandular and Crohn's fistulas and abscesses.Abdom Imaging. 2000; 25: 67-74
- Ano-perineal fistula in MRI. Contribution of T2 weighted sequences. Article in French.J Radiol. 1996; 77: 253-260
- Diagnostic performance of MRI for detection of intestinal fistulas in patients with complicated inflammatory bowel conditions.Eur Radiol. 2007; 17: 2957-2963
- Pelvic fistulas: appearances on MR images.Abdom Imaging. 1997; 22: 91-95
- Characteristics of gadolinium-DTPA complex: a potential NMR contrast agent.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1984; 142: 619-624
- A comparative radiographic and pathological study of intestinal vaso-architecture in Crohn's disease and in ulcerative colitis.Gut. 1970; 11: 928-940
- MR imaging of the arthritic rabbit knee joint using albumin (Gd-DTPA)30 with correlation to histopathology.Magn Reson Imaging. 1999; 17: 237-245
- A classification of fistula-in-ano.Br J Surg. 1976; 63: 1-12
- Correlation and simple linear regression.Radiology. 2003; 227: 617-622
Published online: November 11, 2010
Accepted: September 15, 2010
Received: August 10, 2010
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.