To evaluate and describe computed tomographic (CT) and endoscopic (ES) imaging findings in patients with pathologically confirmed upper gastrointestinal (GI) tract heterotopic pancreas (HP).
Findings from imaging examinations in 11 patients with pathologically confirmed HP were retrospectively reviewed (CT images obtained from 11 patients and ES images from 6 patients were available for review). Two radiologists evaluated lesion location, size, shape and border as well as growth pattern, enhancement pattern, enhancement grade and number of tumors. The presence of surface dimpling, prominent enhancement of overlying mucosa, and low intralesional attenuation were also evaluated.
HP in the upper GI tract showed typical features in CT imaging: submucosal masses, ill-defined borders, endoluminal growth patterns, bright enhancement similar to the normal pancreas, surface dimpling and low intralesional attenuation. Endoscopic photographs manifested an endoluminal, ill-defined, submucosal mass in the upper GI tract wall, typically with central umbilication. The LD (long diameter)/SD (short diameter) ratios were found to be significantly different between HP in the stomach and HP in the duodenum (P<.05 for each finding). In addition, HP in the duodenum tended to be small and round.
HP exhibits typical pancreatic pathologic features. Images showed characteristic features in CT imaging: submucosal masses, ill-defined lesions with an endoluminal growth pattern, bright enhancement similar to the normal pancreas, surface dimpling and low intralesional attenuation. ES imaging showed an endoluminal, ill-defined, submucosal mass, typically with central umbilication.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Solid and papillary neoplasm arising from an ectopic pancreas in the mesocolon.Am J Gastroenterol. 1990; 85: 597-601
- Heterotopic pancreas involving stomach and duodenum.J Assoc Physicians India. 2009; 57: 653-654
- Gastric outlet obstruction caused by heterotopic pancreas: a case report and a quick review.World J Gastroenterol. 2008; 14: 6757-6759
- Ectopic pancreas located in the major duodenal papilla: case report and review.Gastrointest Endosc. 2001; 53: 121-123
- Heterotopic pancreas obstructing the ampulla of Vater.Arch Surg. 1983; 118: 979-980
- Heterotopic pancreas in the jejunum presenting as a submucosal lesion on endoscopy.Jop. 2009; 10: 419-420
- A case of proximal jejunal ectopic pancreas causing sporadic vomiting.Turk J Pediatr. 2003; 45: 161-164
- A rare cause of ileus: invagination due to ectopic pancreas.Acta Chir Belg. 2008; 108: 343-345
- Heterotopic pancreatitis with obstruction of the major duodenal papill—a rare trigger of obstructive orthotopic pancreatitis.Pancreatology. 2004; 4: 244-248
- Case report: ectopic pancreas with pseudocyst and pseudoaneurysm formation.Clin Radiol. 2009; 64: 734-737
- Heterotopic pancreas: a difficult diagnosis.J Clin Gastroenterol. 1999; 28: 144-147
- Pancreatitis in initially occult gastric heterotopic pancreas.Clin Imaging. 2007; 31: 356-359
- Carcinoma in jejunal pancreatic heterotopia.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1999; 123: 707-711
- Diagnosis and treatment of gastric heterotopic pancreas.World J Surg. 2006; 30: 1682-1689
- Heterotopic pancreas–clinical presentation and pathology with review of the literature.Hepatogastroenterology. 2004; 51: 854-858
- Heterotopic pancreas in the stomach: CT findings.Radiology. 2000; 217: 139-144
- Heterotopic pancreas mimicking cholangiocarcinoma. Case report and literature review.Jop. 2007; 8: 28-34
- Heterotopic pancreas in the stomach: a case report and literature review.World J Gastroenterol. 2007; 13: 6098-6100
- Gastric aberrant pancreas: EUS analysis in comparison with the histology.Gastrointest Endosc. 1999; 49: 493-497
- Adenocarcinoma arising in gastric heterotopic pancreas: a case report.J Korean Med Sci. 2004; 19: 145-148
- Pancreatic heterotopia in the gastric antrum.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2004; 128: 111-112
- Heterotopic pancreas in the stomach.Med J Malaysia. 2004; 59: 541-543
- Heterotopic pancreas. Review of a 26 year experience.Am J Surg. 1986; 151: 697-700
- Ectopic pancreas with gastric localization: a clinical case and review of the literature.G Chir. 1994; 15: 162-166
- A new variant of esophageal atresia associated with esophageal heterotopic pancreas.J Pediatr Surg. 2002; 37: 116-118
- Heterotopic gastric mucosa and pancreatic tissue in the skin of the abdominal wall.J Pediatr Surg. 1992; 27: 1539-1540
- Ectopic pancreas in the stomach presenting as an inflammatory abdominal mass.Am J Gastroenterol. 1989; 84: 663-666
- Acute pancreatitis occurring in gastric aberrant pancreas accompanied by paralytic ileus.Am J Gastroenterol. 1997; 92: 2121-2122
- Cystic dystrophy of the gastric and duodenal wall developing in heterotopic pancreas: an unrecognised entity.Gut. 1993; 34: 343-347
- Malignant degeneration of heterotopic pancreas.Gastrointest Endosc. 1991; 37: 196-198
- Heterotopic pancreas presenting as dysphagia.Am J Gastroenterol. 2002; 97: 1046-1049
- Case report: ectopic pancreatic rest in the proximal stomach mimicking gastric neoplasms.Clin Radiol. 2007; 62: 600-602
- Heterotopic pancreas: report of 7 patients.Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2002; 1: 299-301
- Heterotopic pancreas. A difficult diagnosis.Dig Dis Sci. 1996; 41: 1238-1240
- Ectopic pancreas: CT findings with emphasis on differentiation from small gastrointestinal stromal tumor and leiomyoma.Radiology. 2009; 252: 92-100
- Cyst formation in gastric heterotopic pancreas: report of two cases.Radiology. 1988; 169: 659-660
- Heterotopic pancreas of the stomach: CT findings correlated with pathologic findings in six patients.Abdom Imaging. 2000; 25: 119-123
- CT appearance of ectopic pancreas: a case report.Abdom Imaging. 1998; 23: 332-333
Published online: November 15, 2010
Accepted: August 30, 2010
Received: August 10, 2010
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.