Despite the increasing use of magnetic resonance (MR) for fetal imaging, few studies have addressed the MR appearance of the normal placenta. The goal of this paper is to describe the MR features and thickness of the normal placenta during the second and early third trimester of gestation, based on a retrospective study comparing MR with the reference standard of obstetric imaging, ultrasound.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the normal placenta.Eur J Radiol. 2006; 57: 256-260
- Magnetic resonance imaging for evaluation of the fetus and the placenta.Am J Perinatol. 2008; 25: 591-599
- Placental MRI.Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2005; 10: 485-490
- Imaging of the placenta: a multimodality pictorial review.Radiographics. 2009; 29: 1371-1391
- Placental thickness.J Ultrasound Med. 1985; 4: 479-482
- Sonographically thick placenta: a marker for increased perinatal risk–a prospective cross-sectional study.Placenta. 2000; 21: 268-272
- Ultrasound of the placenta: a systematic approach. Part I: Imaging.Placenta. 2008; 29: 225-240
- The value of specific MRI features in the evaluation of suspected placental invasion.Magn Reson Imaging. 2007; 25: 87-93
- Magnetic resonance imaging in the evaluation of placental adhesive disorders: correlation with color Doppler ultrasound.Eur Radiol. 2008; 18: 1292-1299
- Magnetic resonance imaging in 300 cases of placenta accreta: surgical correlation of new findings.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2005; 84: 716-724
- Nonoperative treatment of placenta percreta: value of MR imaging.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 177: 1301-1303
- Placental perfusion MR imaging with contrast agents in a mouse model.Radiology. 2005; 235: 73-80
- Functional magnetic resonance imaging (magnetization transfer) and stereological analysis of human placentae in normal pregnancy and in pre-eclampsia and intrauterine growth restriction.Placenta. 2004; 25: 408-412
Published online: October 21, 2010
Accepted: August 24, 2010
Received: June 15, 2010
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.