Infiltrating syringomatous adenoma (ISA) of the nipple, first described by Rosen in 1983 (Am J Surg Pathol, 1983, 7, 739–745), is a rare benign tumor that can be misdiagnosed as a malignancy. ISA is characterized by its specific location in the subareolar region, its distinct histologic appearance resembling sweat duct or syringomatous tumors, and its locally infiltrating growth. We describes a case of ISA of the nipple presenting as microcalcification that was found on screening mammography. We also reviewed previously reported radiologic features of ISA.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple.Am J Surg Pathol. 1983; 7: 739-745
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple: a case report.Pathol Res Pract. 2005; 201: 405-407
- Infiltrating syringomatous adenoma of the nipple: a case report and 20-year retrospective review.Breast J. 2004; 10: 443-447
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple.Breast. 2004; 13: 412-415
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple: a case report.Breast Cancer. 2004; 11: 214-216
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple: report of a case.Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2007; 50: 808-811
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple—treatment by central mound resection and oncoplastic reconstruction.Breast J. 2008; 14: 102-105
- Infiltrating syringomatous adenoma of nipple.J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2008; 18: 438-439
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple occurring within a supernumerary breast: a case report.J Cutan Pathol. 2009;
- Infiltrating syringomatous adenoma of the nipple. A clinical and pathological study of 11 cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 1989; 13: 197-201
- Case report: infiltrating syringomatous adenoma of the breast–appearances on mammography and ultrasonography.Clin Radiol. 1993; 47: 62-64
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple: report of a case.Surg Today. 1998; 28: 1196-1199
- Infiltrating syringomatous adenoma of the nipple.Surgery. 1992; 111: 711-713
- Infiltrating syringomatous adenoma of the nipple.Breast J. 2009; 15: 414-416
- Syringomatous adenoma of the nipple: a case report.Pathology. 2003; 35: 271-272
- Common and unusual diseases of the nipple-areolar complex.Radiographics. 2007; 27: S65-S77
Published online: March 19, 2010
Accepted: January 10, 2010
Received: December 29, 2009
© 2010 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.