To investigate the correlation between the degree of systolic compression of mural coronary artery (MCA) and the length and depth of myocardial bridging (MB) with dual-source computed tomography (DSCT).
The length and depth of MB were measured from diastolic phase. All datasets were reconstructed in 5% steps of R-R interval. The optimum phases were chosen where the maximal and minimal diameters were shown. The degree of systolic compression of MCA was calculated. The correlation between length and depth of MB and the degree of systolic compression of MCA were analyzed by Pearson test.
The minimal diameters were found in 27 sites (90.0%) from 30% to 35% R-R interval, and the maximal diameters were found in 27 sites (90.0%) from 70% to 80% R-R interval. The correlation between systolic compression of MCA and length of MB was not significant (r=0.096, P=.613); however, the correlation between systolic compression of MCA and the depth of MB was significant (r=0.675, P<.01).
The minimal and maximal diameters of MCA are usually demonstrated in 30–35% and 70–80% R-R reconstruction interval, respectively. The degree of systolic compression of MCA correlates well with the depth of MB.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Myocardial bridging.Eur J Heart. 2005; 26: 1159-1168
- Update on myocardial bridging.Circulation. 2002; 106: 2616-2622
- Myocardial bridging of a coronary artery: a not-so-benign anomaly.Chest. 1989; 95: 706-707
- Myocardial infarction associated with myocardial bridging: case history and review of the literature.Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn. 1997; 40: 364-367
- Myocardial bridges: morphological and functional aspects.Br Heart J. 1991; 66: 364-367
- Supraarterial decompression myotomy for myocardial bridge in a child.Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 68: 244-246
- Myocardial bridge as a cause of acute transient left heart dysfunction.Chest. 1999; 116: 574-580
- Myocardial bridging as a factor in heart disorders: critical review and hypothesis.Acta Anat. 1996; 157: 248-260
- The incidence and significance of myocardial bridge in a p respectively defined population of patients undergoing coronary angiography for chest pain.Tokai J Exp Clin Med. 2000; 25: 57-60
- Myocardial bridging: noninvasive diagnosis with multidetector CT.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2005; 29: 238-240
- Detection of myocardial bridging with ECG-gated MDCT and mutiplanar reconstruction.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006; 186: 391-394
- Myocardial bridging on MDCT.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 188: 1074-1080
- Detection of myocardial bridge and evaluation of its anatomical properties by coronary multi-slice spiral computed tomography.Eur J Radiol. 2007; 61: 130-138
- Myocardial bridge: evaluation on MDCT.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 88: 1069-1073
- Myocardial bridging: depiction rate and morphology at CT coronary angiography—comparison with conventional coronary angiography.Radiology. 2008; 246: 754-762
- Myocardial bridge: a bridge to atherosclerosis.Anadolu Kardiyol Derg. 2007; 7: 12-16
- Die intramurale Koronarie im Angiogramm.Fortschr Roentgenstr. 1960; 92: 129-132
- Myocardial bridging and milking effect of the left anterior descending coronary artery: normal variant or obstruction?.Am J Cardiol. 1976; 37: 993-999
- Comparison of intravascular ultrasound and angiography in the assessment of myocardial bridging.Circulation. 1994; 89: 1725-1732
- The significance of myocardial bridge upon atherosclerosis in the left anterior descending coronary artery.J Pathol. 1986; 148: 279-291
- Relation of myocardial bridges and loops on the coronary arteries to coronary occlusions.Am Heart J. 1961; 61: 44-52
- Significance of anatomical properties of myocardial bridge on atherosclerosis evolution in the left anterior descending coronary artery.Atherosclerosis. 2006; 186: 380-389
- Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill, New York2006: 1-17 Cardiovascular physiology.
- Functional, angiographic and intracoronary Doppler flow characteristics in symptomatic patients with myocardial bridging: effect of short-term intravenous beta-blocker medication.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1996; 27: 1637-1645
- Intramural left anterior descending coronary artery: significance of the depth of the muscular tunnel.Hum Pathol. 1993; 24: 693-701
Published online: August 28, 2009
Accepted: May 1, 2009
Received: March 3, 2009
© 2010 Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.