To assess the magnetic resonance (MR) imaging features differentiating tuberculous spondylitis from pyogenic spondylitis.
MR imaging findings in 10 patients with tuberculous spondylitis were retrospectively compared with those of 13 patients with pyogenic spondylitis.
There were significant differences in imaging criteria (paraspinal abnormal signal, paraspinal or intraspinal abscess, thoracic spine involvement, and abnormal signal around the facet joint).
MR imaging is a very useful technique for differentiation of tuberculous spondylitis from pyogenic spondylitis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Vertebral osteomyelitis: assessment using MR.Radiology. 1985; 157: 157-166
- MR imaging of infectious spondylitis.Am J Neuroradiol. 1990; 11: 1171-1180
- Infectious and inflammatory processes of the spine.Radiol Clin North Am. 1991; 29: 809-827
- Vertebral infection.Eur Radiol. 2004; 14: 43-52
- Tuberculosis of the spine and spinal cord.Eur J Radiol. 2005; 55: 193-201
- Tuberculosis of spine.in: Osenbach RK Zeidman SM Infections in Neurological Surgery, Diagnosis and Management. 1st ed. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia1999: 281-297
- Spinal infections.Eur J Radiol. 2004; 50: 120-133
- Differentiation of vertebral osteomyelitis and tuberculous spondylitis by magnetic resonance imaging.Int Orthop. 1995; 19: 319-322
- Imaging of musculoskeletal and spinal tuberculosis.Radiol Clin North Am. 2001; 39: 329-342
- Role of CT and MR imaging in the management of tuberculous spondylitis.Radiol Clin North Am. 1995; 33: 787-804
- Discrimination of tuberculous spondylitis from pyogenic spondylitis on MRI.Am J Roentgenol. 2004; 182: 1405-1410
- The radiological diagnosis of tuberculosis of the adult spine.Skeletal Radiol. 1984; 12: 178-186
- Posterior spinal tuberculosis: a case report.Am J Neuroradiol. 1990; 11: 612-613
- Pyogenic vertebral osteomyelitis of the posterior elements.Clin Infect Dis. 1997; 25: 221-224
- Infectious and inflammatory process of the spine.Radiol Clin North Am. 1991; 29: 809-827
- MR of disk protrusion engendered by infectious spondylitis.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1996; 20: 715-718
- MR imaging characteristics of tuberculous spondylitis vs vertebral osteomyelitis.Am J Roentgenol. 1989; 153: 399-405
Published online: March 17, 2008
Accepted: March 15, 2007
Received: February 10, 2007
© 2008 Published by Elsevier Inc.