We compared the enhancement pattern of 98 hepatocellular carcinoma nodules in 92 patients on contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) and contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CECT). Contrast-enhanced ultrasound was performed with SonoVue and a low mechanical index method. In arterial phase, 98 nodules were hyperenhancing on CEUS and 94 on CECT. In portal phase, 82 nodules were hypoenhancing on CEUS and 83 on CECT. Peripheral thin-rim-like enhancement was exhibited in 30 nodules on CEUS and 31 on CECT. Intratumoral vessels were visualized in 94 nodules on CEUS and 36 on CECT.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Assessment of vascular patterns of small liver mass lesions: value and limitation of the different Doppler ultrasound modalities.Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 95: 3537-3546
- Ultrasound of focal liver masses.Ultrasound Q. 2004; 20: 155-169
- Characterization of focal liver lesions with contrast-specific US modes and a sulfur hexafluoride-filled microbubble contrast agent: diagnostic performance and confidence.Radiology. 2004; 232: 420-430
- Ultrasound contrast agents: properties, principles of action, tolerance, and artifacts.Eur Radiol. 2001; 11: 1316-1328
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: update on diagnosis and treatment.Dig Dis. 1995; 13: 81-91
- Guidelines for the use of contrast agents in ultrasound.Ultraschall Med. 2004; 25: 249-256
- Potential impact and utilization of ultrasound contrast media.Eur Radiol. 2004; 14: P16-P24
- The current status of imaging diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma.Liver Transpl. 2004; 10: S20-S25
- Hepatocellular carcinoma contrast enhancement with Levovist.J Ultrasound Med. 2002; 21: 77-84
- Contrast-enhanced agent detection imaging: value in the characterization of focal hepatic lesions.J Ultrasound Med. 2003; 22: 897-910
- Blood flow patterns in focal liver lesions at microbubble-enhanced US.Radiographics. 2004; 24: 921-935
- Hepatic tumors: contrast agent-enhancement patterns with pulse-inversion harmonic US.Radiology. 2000; 216: 411-417
- Differential diagnosis of hepatic tumors by using contrast enhancement patterns at US.Radiology. 2003; 229: 798-805
- The role of contrast-enhanced ultrasound in the detection of focal liver lesions.Eur Radiol. 2001; 11: E15-E26
- Harmonic hepatic ultrasound with microbubble contrast agent: initial experience showing improved characterization of haemangioma, hepatocellular carcinoma, and metastasis.Radiology. 2000; 215: 153-161
- Vascular permeability factor: vascular endothelial growth factor, microvascular hyperpermeability, and angiogenesis.Am J Pathol. 1995; 146: 1029-1039
- Contrast-enhanced, wide-band harmonic gray scale imaging of hepatocellular carcinoma correlation with helical computed tomography findings.J Ultrasound Med. 2001; 20: 89-98
- Evaluation of hepatocellular carcinoma using SonoVue, a second generation ultrasound contrast agent: correlation with cellular differentiation.Eur Radiol. 2004; 14: 1092-1099
Published online: May 26, 2006
Accepted: March 10, 2006
Received: December 5, 2005
© 2006 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.