Neurofibromas occurring in the breast are very rare. A 10-year-old boy with neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF1) presented with a palpable mass on his left breast. US showed a well-defined and hypoechoic solid mass within the subcutaneous fat tissue in the areolar area. Mass was isointense compared to muscle and hypointense compared to fat tissue on TIW and T2W MR images. Excisional biopsy was applied to the mass. The diagnosis of gynecomastia and neurofibroma was made on the basis of histopathological and immunohistochemical findings.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neurofibromatosis: past, present, and future.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 1283-1285
- A prospective 10 year follow up study of patients with neurofibromatosis type 1.Arch Dis Child. 1998; 78: 408-412
- Neurofibromatosis of the breast in a patient with morbus von Recklinghausen.Gynakol Geburtshilfliche Rundsch. 2000; 40: 47-49
- Gynecomastia in type-1 neurofibromatosis with features of pseudoangiomatous stromal hyperplasia with giant cells. Report of two cases.Virchows Arch. 2001; 438: 513-516
- Interobserver reproducibility of volumetric MR imaging measurements of plexiform neurofibromas.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2003; 180: 419-423
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference. Neurofibromatosis conference statement.Arch Neurol. 1988; 45: 579-588
- Neurofibromas of the breast and nipple-areolar area.Ann Plast Surg. 1981; 7: 302-307
- Pseudogynecomastia due to neurofibromatosis—a light microscopic and ultrastructural study.Hum Pathol. 1981; 12: 755-759
- Von Recklinghausen's disease associated with a primary malignant schwannoma of the breast.J Surg Oncol. 1995; 59: 273-275
- Breast lesions in generalized neurofibromatosis: breast cancer and cytosarcoma phylloides.Neurofibromatosis. 1989; 2: 121-124
- T1 breast cancer associated with Von Recklinghausen's neurofibromatosis.Breast Cancer. 1999; 6: 227-230
- Breast cancer associated with Recklinghausen's disease: report of a case.Nippon Geka Hokan. 1998; 67: 3-9
- Case of breast cancer associated with Recklinghausen's disease.Gan No Rinsho. 1983; 29: 1678-1681
- BRCA1-related malignancies in a family presenting with von Recklinghausen's disease.Gynecol Oncol. 2002; 86: 375-378
Published online: October 01, 2004
Received: November 30, 2003
© 2004 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.