The vomeronasal organ is a special sensory organ that exists in both animals and humans. It is located on the sides of nasal septum and although it involutes with age, occasionally it may be seen in humans. We present the imaging findings in a child with an enlarged nasal septum whose features we believe are compatible with a vomeronasal organ.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Human vomeronasal organ function: a critical review of best and worst cases.Chem Senses. 2001; 26: 433-445
- The human vomeronasal system.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1998; 855: 373-389
- The human vomeronasal organ. Part II prenatal development.J Anat. 2000; 197: 412-436
- The vomeronasal cavity in adult humans.Chem Senses. 2000; 25: 369-380
- The human vomeronasal organ. III. Postnatal development from infancy to the ninth decade.J Anat. 2001; 199: 289-302
- Electron microscopy and functional aspects of the human vomeronasal organ.Am J Rhinol. 2000; 14: 63-67
- Frequency and localization of the putative vomeronasal organ in humans in relation to age and gender.Laryngoscope. 2001; 111: 448-452
- Prenatal growth of the human vomeronasal organ.Anat Record. 1997; 248: 447-455
- Anatomical position of the vomeronasal organ in postnatal humans.Ann Anat. 2001; 183: 475-479
- Identification of non-functional human VNO receptor genes provides evidence of vestigialty of the human VNO.Chem Senses. 2001; 26: 1167-1174
- Imaging of the human vomeronasal organ.Chem Senses. 2001; 26: 35-39
Received: July 30, 2003
© 2004 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.