This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The computed tomography (CT) findings of 3 patients with Ewing's sarcoma and 10 patients with a variety of benign rib lesions including osteomyelitis, hemangiomatosis, eosinophilic granuloma, aneurysmal bone cyst, neurofibromatosis, enchondroma, and Jarcho-Levin syndrome are presented. CT is of great value in demonstrating characteristic findings of several benign rib lesions. Also, CT accurately shows the destructive pattern of the rib lesion, the presence of pleural effusion, and the local spread of the soft tissue mass.
When an aggressive rib lesion with pleural effusion is encountered in an infant or child, Ewing's sarcoma must be excluded unless this lesion has characteristic radiographic findings and a strong clinical history that suggest another diagnosis.
The CT findings and differential diagnosis of rib lesions are discussed. Three-dimensional CT well demonstrated the appearance of congenital rib anomalies.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Computed tomography of the chest wall.Radiology. 1980; 134: 433-436
- CT observation of rib abnormalities: Spectrum of findings.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1985; 9: 65-72
- Mahboubi S. Pediatric bone imaging: A practical approach. Little Brown, Boston1989
- Tumors of the chest wall in infants and children.Pediatr Radiol. 1977; 6: 13-18
- Hereditary malformation of the vertebral bodies.Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1938; 62: 215
- Jarcho-Levin syndrome. Radiology of syndromes, metabolic disorders and skeletal dysplasia.3rd Edition. Yearbook Medical Publishers, Chicago1989
- Computed tomography of rib hemangiomas.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1986; 6: 945-947
- Radiology of bone tumors and allied disorders.W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia1982
- Aneurysmal bone cyst of the calcaneus.Radiology. 1984; 151: 51-52
- Fluid levels in aneurysmal bone cysts: A CT feature.AJR. 1984; 141: 1001-1004
- Case report 346.Skeletal Radiol. 1986; 15: 72-76
- Chondroblastoma and chondromyxoid fibroma.in: Taveras J.M. Ferrucci J.T. Radiology: DiagnosisImaging-Intervention. J.B. Lippincott, Philadelphia1987
- Case report 467.Skeletal Radiol. 1988; 17: 136-140
- Case report 448.Skeletal Radiol. 1987; 16: 601-603
- Neurofibromatosis in children.AJR. 1978; 130: 615-639
- Neural tumors of the thorax: Subject review from the AFIP.Radiology. 1978; 126: 9-17
- Neuroblastoma: Diagnostic imaging and staging.Radiology. 1983; 148: 101-105
- Computed tomographic studies of thoracic extramedullary hematopoiesis.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1980; 4: 67-70
- Thoracic extramedullary hematopoiesis in sickle-cell disease.AJR. 1987; 149: 889-893
- Chest radiology: Plain film patterns and differential diagnosis.in: Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago1987: 7-16
- The roentgen manifestations of leukemia in infancy.Pediatr Radiol. 1973; 107: 603-609
- Ewing tumor of rib: Radiologic findings and computed tomography contribution.Skeletal Radiol. 1983; 9: 227-233
- Pediatric case of the day.RadioGraphics. 1987; 7: 597-599
- Case report 484.Skeletal Radiol. 1988; 17: 295-297
Received in revised form: April 1, 1992
Received: March 1, 1992
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.