This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Giant cell tumor of the vertebral body is a rare but well-recognized entity with a reported incidence between 1.3% and 9.3%, of all giant cell tumors. It has been suggested that computed tomography may be helpful in making the diagnosis, although computed tomography appearances have only been described on two occasions. A case of giant cell tumor of the thoracic spine and a review of the literature regarding this entity are presented. The computed tomography appearance of this lesion is described. However, a distinctive pattern, as previously suggested, is not demonstrated. Although we are not convinced that computed tomography provides a definitive diagnosis in cases of spinal giant cell tumor, it is a valuable asset in defining the extent of the tumor and in posttherapy evaluation and follow-up.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Giant cell tumor of the vertebrae above the sacrum. A review of 31 cases.Cancer. 1977; 39: 1350-1356
- Giant cell tumors of the spine and sacrum causing neurological symptoms.Clin Orthop. 1975; 111: 201-211
- Surgical treatment of giant cell tumor of the spine.J Bone Joint Surg. 1983; 65: 1283-1289
- Giant cell tumor of bone, an analysis of 218 cases.J Bone Joint Surg. 1970; 52A: 619-664
- Giant cell tumor of bone: a demographic, clinical, and histopathological study of all cases recorded in the Swedish Cancer Registry for the years 1958 through 1968.J Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 167-173
- Giant cell tumor in the cervical spine.Surg Neurol. 1985; 33: 148-152
- The computed tomographic findings in benign diseases of the vertebral column.CRC Crit Care Rev Diag Imag. 1985; 24: 39-89
- Aneurysmal bone cyst, an analysis of 95 cases.in: 3d ed. Mayo Clin Proc. 43. 1968: 478-495
- Roentgen diagnosis of diseases of bone. Vol. 1. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1981: 54-62 3d ed.
- Vertebral giant cell tumor and variants.Cancer. 1964; 17: 461-472
- Giant cell tumor of the cervicothoracic spine.AJR. 1981; 136: 63-67
- The treatment of giant cell tumors of the vertebrae by irradiation.Radiology. 1964; 83: 202-207
- Cryosurgery in the treatment of giant cell tumors of bone. A report of 52 consecutive cases.Cancer. 1978; 41: 957-969
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.