This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Described are 26 cases of arachnoid cysts. Of these cysts, 54% were in the sylvian cistern, three (1.2%) were in the suprasellar cistern, and the rest were over the cerebral sulci. There were symptoms of seizures at presentation in 30.8%, and in 23% there were symptoms of hydrocephalus and compression of the brain. A total of 61.5% presented with mental retardation and/or cerebral palsy. Trauma and infection accounted for 35% of these cysts. Associated porencephaly were present in five cases. There was a male preponderance. Left-sided lesions accounted for 61.5% of the lesions. The radiologic appearances, especially of suprasellar cysts, and the differential diagnoses of these lesions are discussed. Their recognition and the role of surgery are stressed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Imaging
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Serous cysts in the arachnoid in reports of medical cases selected with and view of illustrating symptoms and cure of diseases by a reference to morbic anatomy. vol 2. Longman, Rees, Ormen Brown, Green, Paternoster-Row & Higliley, London1831: 437-439 (part 1) 2nd ed.
- Arachnoid cysts of computed tomography.Am J Roentgenol. 1976; 127: 979-982
- CT cisternography with intracranial arachnoid cysts.Neurology. 1977; 8: 451-454
- Computed tomography of arachnoid cysts.Radiology. 1979; 130: 680-765
- Suprasellar arachnoid cysts 1, CT recognition.AJNR. 1986; : 79-86
- Suprasellar arachnoid cysts 2, evaluation of CSF cynamics.AJNR. 1986; : 87-96
- Intracranial cysts.Radiology. 1979; 130: 667-674
- Middle fossa arachnoid cysts.J Neurosurg. 1981; 55: 853
- Diagnosis and treatment of suprasellar cysts.J Neurosurg. 1979; 50: 515-518
- CT scan and metrizamide CT cisternography in arachnoid cysts of the middle cranial fossa; classification and pathophysiological aspects.Surg Neural. 1982; 17: 363-369
- Suprasellar arachnoid cysts: an extension of the membrane of Lilliequist.Neurosurgery. 1980; 7: 615-618
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.